Lentils: 1 cup
Rice: 2 cups (Indian Basmati or similar)
Vegetable Oil: 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp
Onion: 1 medium
Ground Lamb: 1/2 lb or 250 gr (lean shoulder)
Turmeric: 1 tbsp
Cinnamon: 1 tsp
Water: 4 cups + 4 cups
Salt: 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper: a pinch
Preparing the lentils and meat
1. Chop finely and fry the onions with 2 tbsp oil until golden and crisp.
2. add the turmeric, cinnamon and pepper and fry until fragrant.
3. add the meat and fry until it changes color.
4. add 4 cups of water, 1tsp salt and the lentils to the meat and cook until the lentils are soft and edible, but not crushed. This would take around 25-30 minutes in a pressure cooker.
Preparing the rice:
1. add 4 cups of water and 1/2 tsp salt to the rice and cook in a rice cooker, until the water is absorbed.
2. rinse the rice in a sieve.
3. Mix the rinsed rice with the meat and lentils.
The following procedure for steaming rice is called dam kardan in Persian cuisine:
4. spread 1 tbsp of oil in the rice cooker pan.
5. pour the mix inside the pan.
6. cover the pan it with a cotton cloth and place the lid.
7. Cook for another half an hour.
Published on February 29, 2008 Last edited on May 5, 2009
Herbs & Spices in this Recipe:
More Rice and Pasta Recipes: