Gingersnaps are a classic winter recipe that everyone loves. Unfortunately, they tend to be high in sugar and fat; this recipe drops the level of both while retaining enough to keep the flavor and consistency.
Egg Whites: 2
Butter: 0.5 cup (1 stick) at room temperature
Brown Sugar: 2/3 cup
Molasses: 3 tbsp
All-Purpose Flour: 1.5 cup
Baking Soda: 1 tsp
Cinnamon: 1 tsp
Ginger: 1 tsp
Nutmeg: 1/4 tsp
Salt: 1/4 tsp
1. First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cream butter and sweetener in a mixing bowl and egg whites one at a time. Beat well and add molasses, stirring constantly.
3. Mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt and nutmeg together and gradually add to the creamed mixture.
4. Refrigerate for one hour. After the hour is up, roll the dough into one-inch balls and place on ungreased baking sheets, about two inches apart.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned; cool before serving.
Published on December 3, 2009 Last edited on December 3, 2009Herbs & Spices in this Recipe: