Sara: Brunch or light lunch? You can decide! This is a crust-less quiche recipe which makes it lighter and healthier than the usual with crust recipes. Spinach and cheese are classic combinations. You can substitute your favorite kind of cheese in this recipe to make it your own. Feta instead of mozzarella, Asiago instead of cheddar... the possibilities are endless. This recipe can be served at room temperature.
Chopped Spinach: 1 pack previously frozen* or 300g fresh
Mozzarella Cheese: 1 cup shredded
Parmesan Cheese: 1/4 cup shredded
Cheddar Cheese: 1/4 cup shredded
Milk: 1/2 Cup
Whipping Cream: 1/2 cup
Onion: 1 medium chopped
Olive oil: 1 Tbsp
Butter: 1 Tbsp
Garlic: 1 clove minced
Sun Flower seeds: 1 Tbsp
Nutmeg: 1/4 Tsp
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Lightly grease a 9 inch pie or quiche pan.
2. In a frying pan, add the olive oil and butter and saute the onion and garlic until tender. Add spinach and saute for 10min.
3. In a bowl, whisk together eggs milk and whipping cream. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
4. Add spinach, sunflower seeds, mozzarella and parmesan to the egg mixture. Mix well. Pour in the quiche pan.
5. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let the quiche stand for 10 minutes to cool before cutting. This recipe can be served at room temperature.
* If using frozen spinach, place the frozen spinach in microwave safe bowl and cook until thawed. Drain as much of the liquid as you can before using.
Published on November 9, 2008 Last edited on October 23, 2009