Sara: Roast chicken should be an everyday meal, it is easy to prepare and the golden bird with juicy meat also has a wonderful taste. Spreading butter underneath the skin makes it very crispy and the herb adds a wonderful aroma. Add vegetables such as potatoes, yam, bell peppers and mushroom to your roasting pan in the last half an hour to have tasty sides as well.
Whole Chicken : about 2 Kg (4-5 lb)
Butter: 3 tbsp ( room temperature)
Tomato: 1 large
Lemon : 1 large
Garlic: 3 cloves
Onion: 1 large
Rosemary : 1 tsp dried or 2 tsp fresh ( Thyme also works well)
Lemon Juice: 1/2 Cup
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Clean the chicken and remove any extra from cavity of the chicken.
2. Slice the onion and mince the garlic.
3.Place the chicken in a big zip-top plastic bag and pour the onion, garlic and lemon juice and marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
4. Remove the chicken, cut lemon and tomato in two wedges. Sprinkle salt inside the cavity and then stuff the lemon and tomato wedges inside the chicken cavity.
5. Slide fingers under skin of breast and upper part of legs, loosening skin. Spread butter and rosemary under skin on breast and upper leg meat. Tuck wings underneath bird.
6. Preheat the oven to 350F. Roast the chicken uncovered about an hour and half, until a thermometer inserted into chicken thigh reads 180F.
7. Remove cooked chicken and cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.