All-purpose Flour: 1.5 cups Salt: 1/8 tsp Baking Powder: 1/4 tsp Butter: 1/2 cup Sugar: 1 cup* Eggs: 3 (preferably room temperature) Vanilla Extract: 1/2 tsp (or equivalently, 1/2 tsp vanilla powder) Orange: zest of 1, grated Orange Juice: 1/4 cup (preferably fresh) Milk: 1/4 cup Flaked Coconut: 1/2 cup
1. Grease and flour one 8 or 9 inch tube pan (you may also use a 9x5 inch loaf pan).
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, and vanilla powder (if you are using powder instead of extract) together, set aside.
4. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (for 5 to 10 minutes).
5. Mix in the eggs, one at time and beating well after each addition.
6. Stir in the vanilla extract (if you are using the extract). Add orange zest and juice and mix well.
7. Gently mix in flour mixture alternately with the milk, starting and ending with the flour mixture (either use whisk or set the beater on low).
8. Add flaked coconut and beat for about 1 minute.
9. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for about 60 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean (do not open the oven door until after 45 minutes). Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
* Depending on your taste, you may want to increase the sugar to 1+1/2 cups. If you are using sweetened flaked coconut, do not use more than 1+1/4 cups of sugar.