Sara: This is a long time family favorite recipe. My mum has been baking this cake for as long as I can remember, with different decorations and for different occasions. You can easily change the orange juice to any other favorite juices and enjoy a new recipe. These days I am making it for my family and friends and the recipe is a hit every time. Hope you can enjoy it too.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, vanilla powder (if you are using powder instead of extract) together, set aside.
4. In a large bowl, beat in the egg yolks and sugar at high speed until the mixer turns to a pale yellow color.
5. Stir in the vanilla extract (if you are using the extract) and ground cardamom (optional).
6. Add the vegetable oil, orange juice, orange extract and mix well. Then gently mix in flour mixture with a spatula.
7. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed. ( the electric beater should be clean and dry)
8. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
9. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes. After the that lower the oven temperature to 250 degrees F and cook for another 20 minuets. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
1. In a small bowl beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Spread over the cake using a spatula.
2. Cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour before sprinkling with chocolate shavings and decorating with caramel sauce.
Published on December 20, 2007 Last edited on January 10, 2009Herbs & Spices in this Recipe: