Meatballs with Tomato Sauce
About this Recipe: Navid: There are various recipes available for meatballs all around the world. In Europe it is a popular dish specially in Italy where it is known as polpette. It may be served as the main course with spaghetti and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top or may be eaten in a soup. Although meatballs are usually made with beef, different recipes call for other meats as well. The recipe presented here is a classic dish which calls for beef, tomato and fresh herbs.
Ground Beef: 1 lb
Onion: 1 medium, finely chopped
Garlic: 1 clove, crushed or finely chopped
Parmesan Cheese: 1 tbsp, grated
Fresh Parsley: 1 tbsp, chopped
Bread Crumbs: 2 tbsp (optional)
Olive Oil: 4-5 tbsp
Ground Cinnamon: a pinch
Tomatoes: 1 lb
Garlic: 2 cloves
Basil: 1 tbsp, chopped
Tomato Paste: 1 tbsp (optional)
Olive Oil: 1 tbsp
1. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and saute onion and garlic until just soft. Remove from the heat and cool.
2. Combine them with ground beef, egg, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and fresh parsley and mix well. Season with cinnamon, salt and pepper.
3. Divide and shape the mix into 12 small balls. Leave in the fridge for 30 min.
4. Meanwhile to make the sauce, boil the tomatoes in water for 3 min. Let them cool.
5. Remove the tomatoes skin and chop them into small pieces.
6. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan. Saute garlics and basil for 2 min.
7. Add chopped tomatoes and their juice to the pan. Blend in the tomato paste and season with salt and pepper. Cook the sauce for 15 min on medium heat until tomatoes are soft.
8. In a separate pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Fry meatballs for 5 min or until brown on all sides.
9. Add tomato sauce to the meatballs pan and continue cooking for 10-15 min.
10. Serve them with some pasta or rice on side.
Published on June 19, 2008
Herbs & Spices in this Recipe:
More Meat Recipes:
Lovenessurio , Guest from: Tanzania 2008 Jun 27
wow, this is wonderful, the meatballs taste so good and the sauce was very delicious.
Barbara , Guest from: Brantford 2008 Aug 24
great recipe! easy to prepare, any one would have these ingredients in their kitchen, tastes delicious. definately would make it again
Mel , Guest from: Australia 2008 Dec 01
Simple and absolutely delicious! I added extra spice with chilli powder and more saucy with two tins of chopped tomatos (instead of boiled, fresh tomatos). A fabulous recipe!
Irma , Guest from: Ontario 2009 Aug 04
this recipe seems delicious, but for how many servings does anybody know?