Bahar: Quick and easy to make. A simple cookie to accompany your afternoon tea/coffee
Butter: 1/4 cup Sugar: 1/2 cup Egg: 1 Vanilla Extract: 1/2 tsp (or equivalently, ½ teaspoon vanilla powder) All-purpose Flour: 1+1/4 cups Baking Soda: 1/4 tsp Salt: 1/4 tsp Buttermilk: 1/4 cup Almonds: 2 tbsp (slivered, optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together, set aside.
3. In a medium-size bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg and vanilla.
4. Add the flour to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and mix well (start and end with the flour).
5. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Fill a cookie press, and form cookies on the baking sheet 1.5 inches apart; alternately, drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 1.5 inches apart onto the baking sheet. Add 4-5 silvered almonds on top of each cookie (optional).
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
* Chocolaty variation: (1) add 2-3 tablespoon of powdered cocoa to the flour mixture (sift the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder together); alternately, you can add the cocoa powder to the mixture at the end of step 4, (2) increase the sugar to (1/2+1/4) cup.