Navid: These small treats are best served hot right out of the oven. This is a robust recipe for a savory biscuit but can be easily changed to your taste. Just replace rosemary and Parmesan cheese with your favorite ingredients such as cream cheese and chive or even cornmeal.
Flour: 2 cup (plus extra to sprinkle over the rolling board)
Butter: 1 stick (1/2 cup or 1/4 lb)
Milk: 1 cup
Dried rosemary: 2 tbsp
Parmesan cheese: 4 tbsp, grated
Salt: 1 tsp
Baking powder: 1 tbsp
Pepper: a dash
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2. In a medium-large size bowl, sift the flour with baking powder and salt.
3. Wash your hands with cold water. Cut the butter into small pieces (8 or more) and blend into the flour mixture with your fingers. Continue until the mixture looks like bread crumbs. Do not over mix the dough.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl. Using a spatula, mix them well until the dough comes together. If the dough is too much sticky, you can add a little bit more flour to it.
5.Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. With floured fingers, pat the dough into a 1 inch thick round. Gently press in any loose bits but do not over work the dough.
6. Use a biscuit cutter or a cup to cut out the biscuits.
7. Place the biscuits on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 25 min or until the biscuits are golden.
Published on December 12, 2008 Last edited on November 29, 2009