Sara: This is my tropical cake recipe! I love pineapples and found this recipe to be a great alternative way to enjoy them. The cake turns out fluffy and light and is a great companion for your tea or coffee.
All-purpose Flour: 2 cups Baking Powder: 2 tsp Vegetable Oil: 1 cup Sugar: 1+1/2 cups Eggs: 6 separated (preferably room temperature) Vanilla Extract: 1/2 tsp (or equivalently, 1 teaspoon vanilla powder) Roasted sliced Almond: 1/4 cup Pineapple: 1 cup fresh or canned Pineapple juice or Water: 1 cup Pineapple Extract: 1/2 tsp optional
1. Grease and flour a bundt pan.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, vanilla powder (if you are using powder instead of extract) together, set aside.
4. In a large bowl, beat in the egg yolks and sugar at high speed until the mixer turns to a pale yellow color. Stir in the vanilla extract (if you are using the extract).
5. Add the vegetable oil, pineapple juice or water, pineapple extract and mix well. Then gently mix in flour mixture with a spatula. You can add about 1/2 cup diced pineapple to the mixture.
6. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed. (The electric beater should be clean and dry)
7. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
8. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes. After the that lower the oven temperature to 250 degrees F and cook for another 20 minuets. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.