Lida: Perhaps the most famous and widely used bread in Iran, Barbari is a part of Iranian culture. A piece of Barbari with some feta cheese and a cup of tea form the traditional breakfast in Iran. The secret behind the golden color of Barbari and its unique smell is in the small amount of baking soda mixed with some water and used to brush Barbari before baking. This mix is called Romal in Iran which is specified as the sauce here.
Bread Flour: 3+1/4 cups
Water: 1.5 cups
Active Dry Yeast: package or 2+1/4 tsp
Baking Powder: 1 tsp
Salt: 1 tsp
Cornmeal: or whole wheat flour
Poppy Seeds: or Sesame Seeds or Black Sesame Seeds (optional)
Flour: 1 tsp
Baking Soda: 1 tsp
Water: 2/3 cups
1. If using bread machine, add all main ingredients in the order suggested by your bread machine manual and process to form the dough then skip to step 6. Otherwise start from step 2.
2. Dissolve yeast in 100 ml warm water and let it stand for 3 min.
3. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together.
4. Pour the yeast mixture and the rest of the water into the center of the flour and mix to dough.
5. Knead for 15 min or until dough becomes smooth and elastic.
6. Divide dough into 2 round pieces. Slightly sprinkle the baking sheet with cornmeal or whole wheat flour and transfer rolls to it. Cover and leave them in a warm place for 1.5 hours or until doubled in bulk.
7. Meanwhile mix all sauce ingredients and bring to boil. Let it cool down before using it.
8. Brush doughs with the sauce.
9. Dip your fingers in the sauce and punch down the doughs in the way shown in the right hand side pictures.
10. Brush doughs with the sauce one more time and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Let them stand for 45 min.
11. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 375 F.
12. Pull the doughs with your hand as shown in the picture.
13. Bake them for 30 min or till golden.
Published on December 25, 2007 Last edited on July 14, 2009Herbs & Spices in this Recipe: