Tilla: Yellow split pea stew which is called Khoresht Ghaimeh in Farsi, is a traditional and famous dish in Iran. Its main ingredients are yellow split pea, cubed lamb and dried lime which is called limo-amani in Iran. Usually it is served with thin french fries on top and rice on the side. This recipe calls to cook meat and split peas together. If you think their cooking time might be different, you can cook split peas in water separately until just done and then add them to your stew.
Cubed lamb or beef: 200-300 grams (replace with ground beef if you want)
Yellow split peas: 1 cup
Onion: 1 medium, finely chopped
Dried limes: 2-4 small, split in half (freshly-squeezed lime juice can be used instead)
Vegetable oil: 2 tbsp
Tomato paste: 1-2 tbsp
Potato sticks: 1/4 cup
Turmeric: 1 tsp
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and saute onion until just soft. Add lamb and fry for 5 min.
2. Add split peas and saute for 1-2 min.
3. Add tomato paste and turmeric. Saute for 3 min.
4. Add 1-2 cups of water and bring to boil. Add dried limes, salt and pepper. Cook for 45 min or till its done. Add more water during cooking if required.
5. If you are adding fresh lemon juice instead of dried lime, add it just before removing from the heat.
6. Serve with potato sticks on top and some rice on side.
Published on January 18, 2009 Last edited on March 9, 2009Herbs & Spices in this Recipe: