Tomatoes: 4 medium (equivalently 2 cups of canned diced tomatoes) Butter: 1 tbsp Onion: 1 small (grated or finely chopped) Flour: 1 tbsp Tomato Paste: 1 tbsp Beef Broth: 1 cup Salt: 1/8 tsp (or according to your taste) Black Pepper: 1/8 tsp (or according to your taste) Dried Basil: 1 tbsp, or dried parsley (equivalently 1 tablespoon fresh basil or parsley, finely chopped)
1. Skip this step if you are using canned diced tomatoes. Otherwise, boil water in a medium size saucepan. Reduce the heat and put the tomatoes in the water for 2-3 minutes. Drain the water and let the tomatoes cool slightly. Skin the tomatoes and dice them finely; alternatively, use blender to make a smooth puree. Set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a medium size saucepan over low-medium heat.
3. Add the onions and cook for few minutes until onions are soft.
4. Add the flour and stir for 1-2 more minutes.
5. Add the tomato paste and stir for another minute or two.
6. Add the tomatoes (diced or puree), beef broth and salt. Increase the heat and bring to boil.
7. Reduce the heat to low, cover and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes or so.
8. Add black pepper and adjust the seasoning (salt and pepper) according to your taste.
9. Pour the soup in serving bowls, stir in basil (or parsley) and serve.