Mahdian: Sunchoke is a root vegetable with a slightly sweet and nutty flavor. It can be consumed raw as a snack or as an add-on to many salads. This simple, yet delicious soup is inspired by a Portuguese recipe.
Sunchoke: 1lb (a.k.a. Jerusalem Artichoke)
Vegetable Stock: 1qt (or chicken stock)
Olive Oil: 1 tbsp
Milk: 1 cup (or cream)
Truffle Oil: to garnish (optional, but recommended)
Parsley: to garnish (optional)
1. Wash and peel the sunchokes.
2. Slice the peeled sunchokes, set aside.
3. Slice the shallots. Saute sliced shallots in olive oil until golden brown. Set about 1/3 of the caramelized shallots aside for garnish.
4. Add the sliced sunchokes to the shallots in the frying pan and saute for a few minutes.
5. Add vegetable broth (or chicken broth), salt, and pepper and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, until the sunchokes are tender.
6. Puree in a food processor, return to the pot.
7. Heat the soup for a few more minutes, and stir in the milk or cream
8. Move to serving bowls; garnish with caramelized shallots and parsley, and drizzle with truffle oil.
Published on February 9, 2008 Last edited on May 5, 2009More Soups Recipes: