Bahar: Easy to make, very tasty and cinnamon flavored apple cake. I have found the recipe in chenchene weblog (chenchene.blogspot.com) about 2 years ago, modified it a little bit and baked it occasionally; it has been a favorite among my friends since then.
Apples: 3 (preferably granny smith)
Ground Cinnamon: 2 tbsp (or according to your taste)
Vegetable Oil: 1/2 cup
Sugar: 1/2 cup
Eggs: 2 (preferably room temperature)
All-purpose Flour: 1 cup
Baking Powder: 1/2 tsp
Milk: 1/4 cup (optional)
Sugar: 1 tbsp (optional, preferably golden yellow)
Whipped Cream: or vanilla ice cream (optional to serve with)
1. Grease and flour one 8x8 inch pan (or any pan of size roughly 64 square inches).
2. Peel and core the apples. Cut them into thin (thickness of about 5mm) half circles. Sprinkle the cinnamon over apples and toss to coat. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
4. Sift the flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
5. In a large bowl, mix vegetable oil and sugar using a whisk. Mix in the eggs, one at time and whisk well after each addition.
6. Gently mix in the flour mixture. Add the milk and whisk well (optional).
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Layer apple slices over the batter, tightly (such that each slice half-covers the other).
8. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar over the apple slices (optional). If you are a cinnamon-lover (as I am), sprinkle some more cinnamon on top.
9. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes. The cake is ready when the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
10. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Cut and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Published on December 10, 2007 Last edited on August 15, 2013Herbs & Spices in this Recipe: