Navid: Shepherd's pie or cottage pie is a traditional English dish which was originally made from left over of a roast beef dish. Usually vegetables such as green peas, carrots and some times corns are cooked with ground lamb or beef, then layered in a baking dish and covered with mashed potatoes to be baked in the oven. Another variation of this dish is to replace the mashed potatoes with puree of vegetables such as roasted butternut squash and carrot.
Ground Lamb or Beef: 1 lb
Frozen Green Peas: 1/2 cup
Carrots: 1/4 cups, chopped
Onion: 1 medium, chopped
Garlic: 1 clove, diced
Worcestershire Sauce: 2 tbsp (or replace it with your favorite steak sauce)
Potatoes: 4 medium, peeled and sliced
Onion Spring: 1 tbsp, chopped
Cream Cheese: 1-2 tbsp
Milk: 1-2 tbsp
Butter: 2-3 tbsp
Vegetable Oil: 1 tbsp
1. Boil potatoes in salted water for 15 min or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, saute chopped onion, carrots and garlic with vegetable oil in a frying pan for 5 min.
3. Add ground meat and saute for 10 min until no longer pink. Add salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce and cook for 5 more min. Add frozen peas and cook for 2-3 more min.
4. Mash hot potatoes and melt butter with them. Add milk, chopped onion springs and cream cheese. Use a spoon to mix them well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Transfer meat to a baking dish and cover with mashed potatoes.
6. Cook in 400 F preheated oven for 30 min until crisp on top.
Published on April 30, 2008 Last edited on November 11, 2009More Meat Recipes: