Navid: This delicious savory bread is a variation on the traditional sweet monkey bread. It should be served while warm or it won't taste good. You can serve this bread with a balsamic vinegar and olive oil dip.
1. If using bread machine, add yeast, water, flour, cheese, salt, egg and 1 tbsp butter in the order suggested by your bread machine manual and process to form the dough then skip to step 6. Otherwise start from step 2.
2. Dissolve yeast in warm water and let it stand for 3 min.
3. Mix the flour, Parmesan cheese and salt together.
4. Mix the dissolved yeast, egg and 1 tbsp butter with of the flour and form to dough.
5. Knead for 15 min or until dough becomes smooth and elastic.
6. Cover and leave the dough in a warm place for 1.5-2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
7. Turn out the dough into a lightly floured surface and punch down. Knead for 2 min.
8. Divide it into 16 pieces and shape them into small rolls.
9. Meanwhile melt the rest of the butter in a skillet and add garlic and herbs.
10. Dip each ball in butter-herb mixture and layer in baking pan so that in the first layer, they are close enough but bot touching each other to give them room to rise.
11. Drizzle the remaining butter over the dough and sprinkle over with some Parmesan cheese.
12. Cover and leave the dough for 15 min. Meanwhile preheat oven to 375 F.
13.Bake the dough for 30 min or till golden.
Published on February 3, 2008 Last edited on May 5, 2009