Oven Roasted Stuffed Chicken with Fresh Herbs and Pomegranate Paste
About this Recipe: Molook: You have never had a chicken this flavourful. The blend of tastes from chicken, fresh herbs and pomegranate paste is guaranteed to stay with you for life.
You can replace the herbs with a mixture of your choice based on your location. For example, in north of Iran you can add Zeleng-o-anarije or Sersem to add more flavours. Just keep one thing in mind: Do control the aroma balance. For instance, rosemary is much more aromatic than parsley, so use it relatively much less.
Last but not the least, pomegranate paste is an indispensable ingredient of this recipe. It will not taste the same without it! Enjoy.
Whole Chicken: 1 (cavity cleaned)
Onion: 1 small, grated
Garlic: 2 cloves, grated
Walnut: 2 tbsp, ground
Dried Sour Plums: 5 small
Potatoes: 3 medium
Pomegranate Paste: 3 tbsp
Butter: 1/2 tbsp
Potatoes: 3 medium (optional)
Fresh Herb Mix Ingredients: (250 gr)
Tare (or replace with Chive)
Zeleng-o-Anarije (or replace with Rosemary)
Pooneh (or replace with Sage)
Onion: 1 large, diced
Oil: 1/2 tbsp
Walnut: 1 cup
Black Plums: 1 cup, large
Tomato Paste: 2 tbsp
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Wash and drain the chicken. Season the inside and outside with salt, pepper and turmeric.
3. To make the stuffing, blend the grated onion, garlic, berberis, walnuts, sour plums and pomegranate paste with the herb mix.
4. Fill the chicken cavity with the stuffing. Optionally you can close the cavity. One way to do so is to make holes in the extra skin around the cavity to hold opposite leg-ends.
5. Brush over chicken with some melted butter, spray the roasting dish with some oil and transfer the stuffed chicken into it. If you like juicy breasts place the chicken breast down.
6. Cut potatoes into pieces and put around the chicken. The oil from the chicken, later on, will make tasty potatoes.
7. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 60-75 minutes.
8. Meanwhile to prepare the sauce, in a frying pan, saute onion with some oil and turmeric for a few minutes.
9. Lower the heat, stir in plums and walnuts.
10. Dilute the tomato paste with hot water and add to the mixture. Stir occasionally until well mixed.
11. Add salt and pepper to taste.
12. Take out the roasting dish from the oven; remove the aluminum foil and broil for about 15 minutes or until chicken turns gold.
13. Serve the chicken as whole with the sauce on top and potatoes on side.
Published on May 19, 2008
Herbs & Spices in this Recipe:
Mandana , Guest 2008 May 21
Sooooooooooooo delicious ! Try it and have a fantastic dinner with your friends or other family members, cheers,