Bahar: Very simple recipe for a tasty and moist cake. You can replace mangoes with bananas or use a mixture of both (e.g. half mango half banana) for different variations or based on what you have available in your kitchen. Serve plain or with whipped cream.
1. Grease and flour one 8 or 9 inch tube pan (you may also use a 9x5 inch loaf pan).
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder together, set aside.
4. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar (beat on high speed for about 5 minutes). Mix in the eggs, one at time and beat well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
5. Gently mix in flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with the cream (or milk), starting and ending with the flour mixture (either use whisk or set the beater on low). Gently mix in the mashed mangoes.
6. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for about an hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Do not open oven door in the first 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
*You can replace mangoes with bananas or use a mixture of both. I usually use 2 ripe mangoes and 1 ripe banana.