1. In a saucepan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the diced garlic and cook for 1 min.
2. Add crushed tomatoes and cook for 10 more min. Season slightly with salt and pepper.
3. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add chopped onion and bell pepper. Saute for 5 min on medium-high heat.
4. Add ground beef and saute until no longer pink.
5. Set 1/4 cup tomato sauce aside and add the rest to the ground beef.
6. Dissolve tomato paste in 1 cup warm water and add to the beef mixture.
7. Add chopped basil to the mixture and let the beef completely cook on medium-high heat (about 30 min). Season with salt and pepper.
8. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
9. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water with some salt until al dente. Don't overcook them. Drain and wash them with cold water. Drain again.
10. Spread half of the tomato sauce that you have set aside in the bottom of your baking dish (2 tbsp). Cover with a layer of the lasagna noodles. Make layers of meat sauce, ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Repeat the layers. Top with the rest of the tomato sauce (2 tbsp), mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
11. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 min. Remove the foil and cook for 10 more min or until golden. Let it stand for 10 min before serving.
Published on October 29, 2009 Last edited on October 29, 2009