Bahar: Tasty, dense and chewy coconut macaroons. Try them plain or in chocolaty variations. An easy recipe to make varieties of cookies that not only taste good but also look good. For the chocolaty variations I use Swiss dark chocolate; feel free to use any of your favourite chocolates. Use more or less chocolate if you wish, according to your taste. I usually make one batch in all three variations, dividing the dough into two or three before refrigerating it.
Egg whites: 3 (large)
Sugar: 1/2 cup
Golden corn syrup: 1/2 cup
Salt: 1/4 tsp
Vanilla: 1 tsp (extract or powder)
All purpose flour: 1/2 cup
Sweetened coconut flake: 2+1/2 cups
Chocolaty Variations Ingredients:
Chocolate bar: 3 oz (about 90grams)
Chocolate chips: 32 (to decorate, optional)
1. Sift the flour, set aside (optional but recommended).
2. In a stainless steel bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk together the egg whites, sugar and salt.
3. When the mixture is warm to the touch, remove from heat and stir in the corn syrup, vanilla, flour and coconut flakes*.
4. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour or until the dough is firm.
5. Preheat oven to 325 F.
6. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place small mounds (about 1 tbsp) of the dough on to the parchment-lined baking sheet 2 inches apart**.
7. Bake for 15-20 minute or until golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
*Chocolaty variation 1:
Melt the chocolate in microwave or in a double boiler. Add the melted chocolate to the dough and mix well.
To melt the chocolate in microwave:
Coarsely chop the chocolate and place in a small bowl. Place the bowl in microwave for 30-40 seconds. Remove and stir well. If the chocolate is not warm enough to be completely melted place in microwave for another 10-20 seconds.
**Chocolaty variation 2:
Chop the chocolate into 32 pieces. Shape small mounds (about 1tbsp) of dough around a chocolate piece, enclosing the candy completely. Decorate with a chocolate chip (optional).