Navid: Making healthy brownies is not easy. Many recipes call for loads of butter, sugar and chocolate. Here I have cut the amount of butter and sugar. Instead of chocolate chips or chocolate bars, I have also used unsweetened dark cocoa powder. The combination of dark cocoa powder, orange zest and a touch of salt is just delicious. You can also replace the orange zest with vanilla extract if you prefer the traditional brownie taste.
Butter: 1 stick (1/2 cup), melted
Brown sugar: 1.5 cups
White sugar: 0.5 cup
Eggs: 4, beaten
Flour: 0.5 cup
Unsweetened dark cocoa powder: 0.5 cup
Zest of 1 orange (or replace with 1 tsp vanilla extract)
Salt: 0.5 tsp
Walnuts: 1/4-1/2 cup (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line parchment paper on a baking dish.
3. Combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt and walnuts in a bowl. Add melted butter, beaten eggs and zest of orange and mix well.
4. Pour the batter into the baking dish.
5. Bake in the oven for 30-40 min or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean .
6. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool before cutting.
Published on March 17, 2010 Last edited on March 18, 2010Herbs & Spices in this Recipe: