About this Recipe: Zary: Banitsa is a traditional Bulgarian pastry that can be served at any time of the day. The recipe here describes leek Banitsa. You can substitute leek for spinach or ground beef for different tastes or simply make a feta Banitsa by doubling the feta and removing the leek in the following recipe.
Phyllo Sheets: 16 sheets (1 pack)
Feta Cheese: 150 grams (crumbled or grated)
Leek: 2 medium
Butter: 70 grams (almost)
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Grease a round pan with butter.
3. Wash and cut the leeks into small pieces.
4. Simmer the leek on low temperature with some cooking oil for 10 minutes.
5. In a big bowl, mix 4 eggs, leek, feta cheese and 3/4 of the butter with a hand mixer.
6. Take a phyllo sheet, lay it out flat and sprinkle three spoonfuls of the mix.
7. Roll the sheet with the mix inside it and put it in the pan.
8. Repeat with several rolled sheets and place them in a spiral way until the pan is full.
9. Mix the remaining butter and egg and sprinkle on the Banitsa.
10. Place on the top rack of the oven and cook for 35 minutes or until golden.
Published on March 21, 2010 Last edited on March 22, 2010
More Breakfast Dishes Recipes: