A delicious and healthy scone recipe. Serve it plain or with apricot jam (or any jam you desire).
Unbleached flour: 2 cups
Baking powder: 2 tsp
Small pinch of salt
Grated orange peel: 1 tsp
Sunflower oil: 1/4 cup
Honey: 1/2 cup
Vanilla: 1 tsp
Low-fat buttermilk: 3/4 cup
Chopped dried apricots: 3/4 cup
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Mix dry ingredients and orange peel. Add apricots and toss lightly.
3. Whisk the oil, egg, honey, vanilla, and buttermilk together and add to the dry ingredients, just lightly turning over the mix with a large spoon till it barely holds together.
4. Turn the mixture onto a floured surface, divide it in half, and coax it out gently with floured hands to 2 circles that are roughly 1/2 inch thick.
5. Dust with a little more flour or a sprinkle of sugar and press it out gently with your hands, smoothing the edges a bit, then cut the dough into triangles and lay them out on a canola-sprayed baking sheet.
6. Bake 20 minutes or till golden and crispy around the edges.
7. Brush the tops with buttermilk or orange juice when you take them from the oven.
8. Cool on a rack for a few minutes before serving.
Published on August 15, 2010 Last edited on August 15, 2010Herbs & Spices in this Recipe: